Pick your poison! Watch a video recap of this blog post, or read the full article below.
In our last installment, we gave you a little background on some common social media fails, along with five ways to avoid them. Here are some additional tips to help you along on your road to social media stardom:
6. Take numbers with a grain of salt. 100 engaged fans are better than 10,000 fans who have no idea who you are or what you do. Focusing too heavily on metrics can lead to short-term thinking and short-sighted decisions. It’s not, “How can I get more followers?” The better question is, “How can I find more relevant followers?”
7. Beware of the common traps. Here are just a few no-nos: sending automatic messages, using social media as just another channel to push your message, posting about too much personal stuff (especially if you’re an organization and not an individual), retweeting lots of posts that mention or compliment you, spamming your followers with irrelevant or high-volume content, and other self-destructive mistakes.
8. Try to reply to all comments, regardless of their nature. If someone comments positively, it’s polite to reply with appreciation or an additional thought to make them feel valuable and heard. If it’s a complaint or negative comment, address the issue quickly to show you’re listening and you care.
9. Be careful who you trust. Only give the keys to your social media castle to those who you completely trust. This should be someone that understands your company’s voice, style, and processes, and has the time to manage it. If you wouldn’t trust this person to answer the phones or be interviewed by a news station, they shouldn’t be touching your social accounts.
10. Integrate social media into your other marketing efforts. Do you have an email newsletter? Add social sharing features to it, and feature similar content on your social media networks to reinforce the message. Are you participating in or sponsoring an event sometime soon? Have a promotion where someone can tweet about your company and be entered to win a prize.
With these tools under your belt and a team of experts rooting you on (ahem, that’s us!), you should be ready to take the social media world by storm. If you want more advice on how to incorporate these tips into your marketing efforts, give us a call!